Goro Mizutani Professor
School of Materials Science（Department of Materials Science・Materials Characterization and Device）
Degree of Doctor of Science in physics, Tokyo University(1986)
Postdoctoral Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (1986), Research Associate at the Research Institute of Electrical Communication of Tohoku University(1986), Associate Professor at the Research Institute of Electrical Communication of Tohoku University (1992)
Surface science, Optical properties of solids
Surface nonlinear optical spectroscopy, Surface nonlinear optical microscopy
Optical second harmonic spectroscopy of surface and interface phenomena
We develop optical second harmonic spectroscopy and use it as a tool to monitor the change of surface and interface electronic levels during important surface and interface phenomena. The electronic structure as well as the orientation and the order of the surface bonds and adsorbates, of photo-catalysts, surface/ adsorbate systems, semiconductor interfaces and superconductor surfaces are our main interest.
Vibrational spectroscopy of surface adsorbates by observing Raman scattering and sum frequency generation
We investigate the mechanism of surface and interface phenomena such as surface oxidation or catalytic reaction, by analyzing the vibration of molecules involved. For this purpose we have developed a high-sensitive Raman spectrometer and sum frequency spectroscopy system. We are interested in clarifying the adsorption state of molecules on catalysts and the order of water clusters in the vicinity of bio-materials.
Materials to be realized only on surfaces
The properties of atoms, molecules, and films on surfaces are dramatically different from those in the free state. Investigating the origin of this difference, we take advantage of it to realize materials with properties possible only on surfaces.
Development of an optical second harmonic microscope and an optical sum frequency microscope
We develop an optical second harmonic microscope and an optical sum frequency microscope in order to observe the spatial distribution of electronic states of interesting surfaces. The microscopes are planned to have good spatial resolution and to be capable of tuning the excitation wavelength in a wide region. We are planning draw new physics from the nonlinear optical images of catalysts, semiconductors and living organisms.
- Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Atomic Level Characterization for New Materials and Devices (ALC2011), Seoul, Korea, 22-27 May, 2011，Goro Mizutani (Pricipal Guest Editor)，John Wiley and Sons，2012，1-800
- "Science, Technology and Education of Microscopy, an Overview"ed. A. Mendez-Vilas (Microscopy Series No.1 Vol.2)・Starch Image in Living Water Plants Observed by Optical Second Harmonic Microscopy，G. Mizutani and H. Sano，FORMATEX, Badajoz, Spain，2003，pp.499-504
- Normal Mode Analysis of Surface Adsorbed and Coordinated Pyridine Molecule，G. Mizutani and S. Ushioda，Journal of Chemical Physics，91，1，598-602，1989
- Second harmonic generation in thin films of copper phthalocyanine，K. Kumagai, G. Mizutani, H. Tsukioka, T. Yamauchi, and S. Ushioda，Physical Review B，48，19，14488-14495，1993
- Ultra-high vacuum optical second harmonic microscope，Y. Sonoda, G. Mizutani, H. Sano, S. Ushioda, T. Sekiya, and Kurita，Japanese Journal of Applied Physics，39，3，L253-L255，2000
◇Lectures and Presentations
- Optical second harmonic microscopy of surfaces，G. Mizutani, H. Sano, and S. Ushioda (招待講演)，Adriatico Research Conference on Lasers in Surface Science，Miramare-Trieste, Italy，13-Sep-00
- Optical Second Harmonic Generation from Cross-Section Controlled Pt nanowires on MgO(110) Faceted Templates，Goro Mizutani and Yoichi Ogata，The 29th International Conference on Solid State Science and Materials Physics & Workshop on Photonic Crystals and Graphene，Sharm El-Shiekh , Egypt，03 October, 2011
- Optical sum frequency intensity images of a vicinal H-Si(111)1x1 surface，Khuat Thi Thu Hien, Yoshihiro Miyauchi, and Goro Mizutani，7th International Symposium on Advanced Materials in Asia-Pacific (7th ISAMAP)JAIST International Symposium on Nano Technology 2010 (NT2010)Ishikawa high-tech exchange center, Sept. 30, 2010 (poster)
◇Academic Society Affiliations
- Surface Analysis Society of Japan，2008-
- Society of Nano Science and Technology，2002-2008
- The Vacuum Society of Japan，2001-
- 8th International Symposium on Atomic Level Characterizations for New Materials and Devices '10 Publication Committee，Chairman，2010/04/01 -
- Surface and Interface Analysis, Special Issue on “Atomic Level Characterisation 2011”(John Wiley & Sons)，Guest editor，2010/10/01 -
- 7th International Symposium on Atomic Level Characterizations for New Materials and Dvices ’09，Invited Speaker，2009/12/08 -