Tsutomu Fujinami Professor
School of Knowledge Science¡¢Human Life Design Area
B.A.from Waseda University (1986), Ph.D.from University of Edinburgh (1996)
Systems Development Laboratory, HITACHI (1986-1992), Institute for Computational Linguistics, University of Stuttgart (1995-1998)
We are interested in the skills which are only acquired through long period of training. We investigate how skills are different from other normal behaviours with respect to both movement and perception.
Skill Science, Skill acquisition, Dementia Care
We study how experts are different from novices by investigating human movements observed in kneeding in ceramic art, dancing on samba, ball handling in football, and so on. We expect our result will be applicable to robotics and skill learning systems.
We investigate how humans learn skills. We collaborate with people in our area to trace as many people as possible, who are trained to learn dancing on samba. We hope our findings will contribute to designing skill learning systems.
Japan is rapidly aging and we expect two percent of the population to be suffering from Dementia in 20 years. Under this plessure of aging society, we study how well we can care people with dementia in natural setting and what technological solutions will be availabe.
- A Network Approach to Inducing Coordinative Structures of Skillful Movement¡¤Masanori Tsujino, Tsutomu Fujinami, Keisuke Nagai¡¤Journal of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics¡¤15¡¤8¡¤988-996¡¤2011/10/05
- Promoting Socialization of Schoolchildren Using a Teleoperated Android: An Interaction Study¡¤Ryuji Yamazaki, Shuichi Nishio, Kohei Ogawa, Kohei Matsumura, Takashi Minato,Hiroshi Ishiguro, Tsutomu Fujinami, Masaru Nishikawa¡¤International Journal of Humanoid Robotics (IJHR), (1-25)¡¤vol. 10¡¤no. 1¡¤pp. 1350007
- Topological Similarity of Motor Coordination in Rhythmic Movements.¡¤Shohei Hidaka, Tsutomu Fujinami¡¤Proceedings of The Thirty Fifth Annual Meeting of Cognitive Science Society¡¤2548-2553
¡þLectures and Presentations
- The role of body in the organization of skilled movements¡¤Tsutomu Fujinami¡¤3rd International Conference on Cognition, Brain and Computation¡¤ IIT Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India¡¤December 5-7, 2015
- Evaluating presence based on balance¡¤Tsutomu Fujinami, Shohei Hidaka, and Neeraj Kashyap¡¤International Symposium on Performance Science,¡¤Kyoto, Japan¡¤02 - 05 September 2015
- Involvement of caregiver in decision-making to administer tube feeding to elderly person¡¤T. Mizuoka, T. Fujinami¡¤Gerontechnology 2014, 13(2):p.117-118¡¤ÂæÏÑ
¡þAcademic Society Affiliations
- International Society of Gerontechnology¡¤2012-
- The Japan Association for Reserch in Singing¡¤2008-
- Japanese Society of Artificial Intelligence¡¤1998-
- Asian Institute of Technology¡¤Visiting Associate Professor¡¤2011/07/04 - 2011/07/08
¢£Academic Awards Received
- Award for Good Practice of Caring People¡¤Mainichi Shimbun¡¤2008
- Excellent Paper Award¡¤Japn Information Processing Society¡¤20087