Chong Nak-Young Professor
School of Information Science（Department of Information Science・Human Information Processing）
B.S. from Hanyang University(1987), M.S. from Hanyang University(1989), Ph.D. from Hanyang University(1994)
Senior Researcher, Daewoo Heavy Industries Ltd. (1994-1998); Visiting Scholar, Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, AIST-MITI (1995-1996); Research Associate, KIST (1998); Senior Researcher, Hanyang University (1998-2005); Researcher, NEDO (1998-2000); Researcher, MSTC (2000); STA Fellow (2001-2003); Senior Researcher (jointly appointed), Intelligent Systems Institute, AIST (2003-2007), Visiting Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology(2008-2009)
Human-Friendly Robots, Teleoperation, Intelligent Mechanical Systems, Knowledge Networking Robot Control
Knowledge Networking Robot Control
Programming robots has proven to be difficult, particularly if the robots are deployed in complex, unstructured environments. We approach the problem of programming robots from the point of view of task-oriented integration of distributed knowledge. This topic explores innovative ways to allow for the realistic deployment of current robot systems without detailed knowledge of robot programming, especially into our everyday environments.
We perform experimental explorations in network-based control of robots over a distance. A teleoperation testbed is constructed for implementing enhanced user interfaces and improving task performances. Augmented reality display will overlay computer generated graphics onto the video feedback. The display adds sounds, haptics, smells, and temperatures to live video so as to make teleoperation control easier for the user.
The recent rapid evolution of humanoid robots allows for the implementation of robotic servants or personal robots in our environments. Our work includes design and control of fault-tolerant humanoid robots to ensure the safety of both robots and humans and appropriate modification of our environments to facilitate the efficient and effective use of robots.
We develop collaborative robots that interact naturally with humans through a variety of communication links. Our attention focuses primarily on developing the perceptual and intellectual abilities of robots for effective human interaction.
- Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence in Robotics: Sensing, Representation, and Action, Part II, Journal of Intelligent Service Robotics，Fulvio Mastrogiovanni, Nak Young Chong，Springer，2013
- Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence in Robotics: Sensing, Representation, and Action (I), Journal of Intelligent Service Robotics，Fulvio Mastrogiovanni, Nak Young Chong，Springer，2012
- Handbook of Research on Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments: Trends and Perspectives，Nak Young Chong, Fulvio Mastrogiovanni，IGI Global, PA, U.S.A., ISBN 978-1-61692-857-5, 734 p, $265，2011
- The Need for a Research Agenda in Intelligent Robotics，Fulvio Mastrogiovanni, Nak Young Chong，Journal of Intelligent Service Robotics, Springer，6，1，1-3，2013/01/01
- An Integrated 2D and 3D Location Measurement System Using Spiral Motion Positioner，Geunho Lee, Naoto Noguchi, Nobuya Kawasaki, Nak Young Chong，IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation，4422-4427，2012/05/15
- Adaptive Point-Based Value Iteration for Continuous States POMDP in Goal-Directed Imitation Learning，Ferdian Adi Pratama, Hosun Lee, Geunho Lee, Nak Young Chong，Proc. 9th International Conference on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence，249-254，2012/11/26
◇Lectures and Presentations
- Distributed and Cooperative Networked Robotics，Nak Young Chong，2nd ASME/IEEE International Conference on Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robots，Tianjin, China，2012/07/10
- JAIST Robotic Walker for the Elderly，Nak Young Chong，1st International Workshop on Cognition, Control, and Learning，Seoul, Korea，2012/01/06
- Distributed and Cooperative Networked Robotics，Nak Young Chong，Italian Institute of Technology Advanced Robotics Seminar，Genoa, Italy，2012/02/24
◇Academic Society Affiliations
- 2013 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation，Program Committee Member，2013-2013
- IEEE，Senior Member，2012-
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems Conference Editorial Board，Associate Editor，2012-
- Northwestern University，Visiting Scholar，2001/11/26 - 2002/01/25
- Korea Association of Robotics，Member of Technical Committee，2002/01/01 -
- Fujitsu Scientific System Colloquium，Co-chair, Robotics Working Group，2004/04/01 - 2006/03/31
■Academic Awards Received
- International Engineer of the Year 2012，The International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England，2012
- THE CAMBRIDGE CERTIFICATE for Outstanding Engineering Achievement，The International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England，2012
- Best Paper Award，7th International Conference on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence，2010