Yusuke Kawakami Vice-President
B.E., M.E. and Ph.D. from The University of Tokyo (1968,1970,1973)
Postdoctoral Scientist at The University of Michigan (1973-1975)
Research Associate (1976-1980); Lecturer (1980-1984); Associate Professor at Nagoya University (1984-1992)
Visiting Professors at Auburn University (1980); Qingdao Institute of Chemical Engineering (1993-); Kyungpook National University (2000-)
Dean of School of Materials Science (2001-2003)
Molecular Design of Functional Polymers, Silicon-based Electro- and Opto-Functional Materials
Silicon Chemistry, Siloxane, Silsesquioxane, Grating
Molecular Design and Functional Design of Polymeric Materials
The main research interest of Professor Kawakami is molecular design of functionality polymeric materials using silicon-containing compounds. Focus is given on four main research subjects: 1) development of new synthesis and functionalization of silicon-containing polymers, 2) new poly(silsesquioxane)s, and three dimensional polysiloxanes as highly thermo-resistant materials, 3) poly- and oligosiloxane-containing systems for holographic applications. Special interest is given in designing new functionality polymeric materials and high performance polymeric materials based on organic chemistry of macromolecules. Four research topics are outlined below.
- Optically pure cyclic silicon-containing compounds were synthesized or separated, and used as the monomer to synthesize isotactic and optically active silicon-containing polymers for the first time. Such polymer can form supramolecular complex with b-cyclodextrin.
- Three dimensional polysiloxanes are synthesized by newly developed cross-dehydrogenative coupling polymerization, and polycondensation under controlled conditions. Application of the products for insulating materials in semi-conductor process and highly thermo-stable materials is being explored.
- Siloxane-containing systems were developed to design high performance holographic recording systems.
- High Performance Holographic Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystal Systems UsingMulti-functional Acrylates and Siloxane-containing Epoxides as Matrix Components，Y. H. Cho, Y. Kawakami，Appl. Phys. A. Mater.，83，365-375，2006
- High Performance Transmission Holographic Gratings via Different Polymerization Rates of Dipentaerythritol Acrylates and Siloxane-containing Epoxiders，Y. H. Cho, W. Shin, N. Kim, B. K. Kim, Y. Kawakami，Chem Mater.，17，6263-6271，2005
- Study on Effective Synthesis and Properties of ortho-Alkyl-substituted Phenyl Octasilsesquioxane，C. Pakjamsai, Y. Kawakami，Desin. Monom. Polym.，8，423-435，2005
◇Academic Society Affiliations
- Hokuriku Branch, Society of Polymer Science, Japan，Member of Board of Directors and Vice Director，2006-
- The Society of Silicon Chemistry，Regular Member，1997-
- Society of Polymer Science, Japan，Regular Member，1976-
- Polymer Society of Korea，International Advisory Board，2003/12/01 -
- Society of Chemical Industry，Executive Editor, Polymer International，2000/04/01 -
■Academic Awards Received
- Mitsubishi Chemical Aword，Scoeity of Polymer Science, Japan，2003