Jianwu Dang Professor
School of Information Science、Human Life Design Area
B.E. from Tsinghua University, China (1982), M.E from Tsinghua University, China (1984), Ph.D. from Shizuoka University (1992)
Associate of Dept. of Computer Science and Technology of Tianjin University, China (1984), Lecture of Dept. of Computer Science and Technology of Tianjin University, China (1986-1988), Visiting researcher of ATR Human Information Processing Research Laboratories (1992), Senior researcher of ATR Human Information Processing Research Laboratories (1998-2001)
Speech Information Science, Modeling of Speech Production Mechanism of Humans, Speech Synthesis, Speech Recognition, and Brain Functions of Spoken Language
Speech Production, Speech Synthesis, Speech Recognition, and Cognitive Science
Research on speech recognition considering auditory, articulatory and physiological features:
We are going to develop some novel method for speech recognition by considering human mechanisms. We are using human auditory property for developing a robust speech recognition method for a noisy environment, coarticulatory mechanism for missing speech recognition, and physiological features for speaker identification.
Researches on speech production mechanisms and their modeling:
There are still a number of unsolved questions on mechanisms of speech production, especially for production of emotional speech. To answer those questions, we used a physiological articulatory model, which has been developed based on MRI data by this Lab and ATR, to simulate the processing from articulatory target to speech sound and the inverse processing from speech sound to articulatory target. The “true” mechanisms can be approached using such an iterative approach. An additional part of this topic is to refine the articulatory model based on physiological discoveries.
Researches on speech cognitive science:
Speech cognition (perception) can be considered as an inverse procedure of the speech production. Since numbers of articulatory situations are able to produce the same sound, there is one-to-many inverse problem occurring in the cognition processing, which is a crucial topic in speech cognition. We are going to challenge the problem by investigating its causes, which are concerned with the stability of the articulatory situation, and the physiological and morphological constraints, via the physiological articulatory model.
Research on speech communication within the brain
According to the motor theory of speech perception, a famous hypothesis, speech perception is realizing with reference to image or knowledge of the motor (production) areas (Liberman et al., 1960, 1985). In this research, we are going to verify this theory by investigating interaction between speech perception and production via acoustic analysis, EMG measurement and articulatory observation.
Research on speech synthesis with specific individuality and emotion
・ Individuality of speech depends on physiological (inborn) factors and social (habit-forming) factors. In this study, we focus on the analysis and modeling of the effects of the former factors on speech.・ Emotion is the paralinguistic information to describe a state of the speaker, which cannot be logically produced. The study is trying to study emotional speech generation by adapting our experience to the articulatory model and clarify the relation between the emotion and acoustic parameters besides the fundamental frequency.
Science and Technology of Speech communication: Process of speech production and its inverse process - cognition
Communication using speech production and speech perception is one of the basic ways for human to exchange information. Fully understanding such mechanisms of human and realizing them by a computer system are the research goal of our laboratory.
- Studies on Speech Production，Fang, Q., Dang, J., Perrier, P., Wei, J., Wang, L., Yan, N.，Springer, 2018
- Speech Analysis: The Production-Perception Perspective/Advances in Chinese Spoken Language Processing,C. H. Lee, et al.,，L. Deng and J. Dang，World Scientific ，2007，1-32
- "Observations About Articulatory, Acoustic and Perceptual Characteristics of Laugh and Smile Speech in Comparison with Sad and Neutral Speech” In Trouvain, Jürgen & Campbell, Nick (eds.), Phonetics of Laughing, ,，Donna Erickson, Takaaki Shochi, Caroline Menezes and Jianwu Dang，Universaar – Saarland University Press: Saarbrücken, Germany.，2014/5/18，1–29
- Combination of links and node contents for community discovery using a graph regularization approach，Jinxin Cao, Hongcui Wang, Di Jin, Jianwu Dang，Future Generation Computer Systems, DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2018.08.009
- EEG source reconstruction evidence for the noun-verb neural dissociation along semantic dimensions，Zhao B, Dang J, Zhang G，Neuroscience，Vol. 359，183-195
- A study on transvelar coupling for non-nasalized sounds，Jianwu Dang, Jianguo Wei, and Kiyoshi Honda, and Takayoshi Nakai，J. Acoust. Soc. Am.，139，1，441-454，2016/01
◇Lectures and Presentations
- Multiple Language Processing based on the Mechanism of Speech Production，Jianwu Dang，The 14th symposium on Chinese Minority Language Information Processing，Lanzhou, China，2013/09/13-15
- Discrimination between Natural and Unnatural Articulations based on Articulatory Structure，A. NISHIKIDO, S. KAWAMOTO and J. DANG，Proc. ISCSLP 2010,，Tainan, Taiwan，2010,12
- An MRI-based Acoustic Study of Mandarin Vowels，Yuguang Wang, Jianwu Dang, Xi Chen, Jianguo Wei, Hongcui Wang, Kiyoshi Honda，INTERSPEECH 2013，Lyon, France，2013/08/26-29
◇Academic Society Affiliations
- ACTA AUTOMATICA SINICA，Editorial Board Member，2013-2015
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)，Member，2010-
- China Computer Federation，Scholarly Communications Committee，2010-
- the University of Waterloo，Visiting Scholar，1998/08/01 - 1999/07/31
- Institut de la Communication ParleeCNRS UMR 5009 & INPG & University Stendhal，Senior Researcher，2002/10/01 - 2003/09/30
- the Acoustical Society of America (1993-)，Member (1993-)