How to Use the Library ---for the General Public---
The JAIST Library is a research library which collects materials from specialized fields, such as Knowledge Science, Information Science, and Material Science. The facilities are available for 24 hours a day.
All visitors can use the library materials on site, or make photocopies.
8:30 - 17:00 on weekdays
We cannot accept the application for use of the library on weekends, holidays, and days indicated below.
August 12-16, October 1, December 29-January 3
How to enter the JAIST Library
Use the entrance of the Institute Hall (marked as ●) from 7:30 to 17:15 or the library's main entrance
（marked as ● ） from 8:00 to 17:15 on weekdays.
【Users with Library Cards】
During the holidays (except from 10:00-15:00 on Saturday) and from 20:00 - 7:30 in the following morning ,
all the entrances are locked. With a library card, you can enter the inside from the entrance of Institute Hall
(marked as ● ).
If you want to use the JAIST library for one day, please come to the library information counter during the above office hours, and fill in the application form for one-day use. You can use the JAIST library until 22:00.
The library user's card is issued for the general public who wants to use the JAIST library for the long term. (The card will be issued on-site, but there may be some exceptions depending on the situation.)
A library user’s card gives borrowing and usage privileges at the JAIST Library 24 hours a day, everyday. If you are under the age of 19, you can use the JAIST Library between 8:30 and 22:00.
Please come to the library in person and fill in the Application Form.
Application hours: 8:30-17:00 on weekdays
You will need to provide proof of identification, your current address and your age. (e.g. valid driver license, resident card, special permanent resident certificate, etc.)
If you are a student ( contained Junior high, high school, university, college, vocational school, and school in the miscellaneous category), a student ID or a certification is needed.
* We cannot issue a card, if you don't show the required identification.
* If you apply for the first time, please be sure to come to the library in person.
* A high school student and younger, or under 18 year-old users require parent's signature and seal.
We respectfully request that all users observe the library rules. Please give us your cooperation in order that all users use the JAIST library harmoniously.
- You are not allowed to smoke, eat or drink inside the library, including the Browsing Corner.
- Please treat the materials and equipment with respect. If you lost, or give damage to the facilities or books, you may be charged for the actual cost of the damage incurred.
- Do not leave your valuables unattended.
- In case of fire in the library or outside, evacuate the building immediately according to Emergency Exits.
* Escape route varies according to whether the fire started in the library or outside.
- The materials in JAIST can be searched by JAIST OPAC through the Library website. There are also JAIST OPAC terminals on each floor in the library.
>>Example of the search results on JAIST OPAC
- Books are arranged according to JAIST Book Classification.
Location (OPAC) and Call Number indicate the area where the material is located. Refer to the following chart and the Floor Map for details.
- Japanese journals are arranged in Japanese syllabary order, and foreign journals are arranged in alphabetical order in the New Wing. Journals published before 2000 are in the compact shelving on the 1st floor, and ones published after 2001 are on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
(The bound one of 2000 through 2001 are on the 2nd and 3rd floors in the New Wing.)
|Floor Map||Location(OPAC)||Materials||Examples of Call Number|
|NewWing/Journals||Japanese and foreign journals before 2000 (CS)|
|NewWing/Lecture Notes(CS)<*1>||LN Lecture Notes||LN/LNCS/1246|
|NewWing/MRS(CS)<*4>||MRS||M47/M/448||1F/Green Bunko||G Green Bunko(General Books)||G908/S/12|
|1F/Job Assistance Books||S Books for Employment Support||S366/T/|
|1F/Magazines||Newspapers, General Journals||-|
|2F||NewWing/Journals||Foreign journals after 2001|
|2F/Reference Books||R Reference Books(Dictionaries)||R838/L/|
|2F/IS||C Information Science||C33.1/H/|
|2F/MS||M Materials Science||M43/N/||2F/OUJ Texts||The Open University of Japan Texts||(various field)|
|2F/AV Media||Audio-Visual Materials||(various field)|
|2F/Toyo Bunko||T Toyo Bunko Series||T929/H/|
|2F/Oversized Edition||Over Sized Books||(various field)|
|2F/English Teaching Mats.||E English Teaching Materials||E837/P/3|
|3F||NewWing/Journals||Japanese journals after 2001|
|3F/NDC(KS)||Numbers except 410-412
|3F/Doc. Dissertations||DT JAIST Doctoral Dissertations
KAKENJAIST Research Results obtained using Budget for Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research
<*1>The Lecture Notes in Computer Science Series
<*2>These are about Information Science.
<*3>Donated materials by ICOT
<*4>Series of "Materials Research Society Symposium Proceeding "
All the materials are in open stacks. Please return materials to where they belong after reading.
Only if you are not sure where to return materials, please put them on the Return Rack.
Use the Automatic Lending Machine on the 1st floor.
- Touch [English] on the screen, and then touch [Checkout].
- Put your JAIST ID card on the card reader.
- Place the books one by one in the specified place. The machine will read the barcode. When borrowing 2 or more books. repeat this procedure.
- After all the books are read by the machine, touch [Done] on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Remember to take your ID card and the receipt.
- * Please be aware that the alarm at the exit gate will go off if you do not follow the instruction correctly.
- * If you have a problem like system error about the machine, please fill in the Book Borrowing Record next to the machine instead.
>>Books You Can Borrow
Green Bunko(General Books) / Specialized Books / Yearbooks，MRS
* You cannot check out reference books, journals, and lab materials.
>>Borrowing Period and Number of Books
|Books Up To||5 books|
You can renew materials for one more loan period. Automatic Lending Machine cannot process the renewal, so please bring the materials to the information counter during the office hours. You can also request the renewal by e-mail or phone.
* Renewal is only allowed once, and possible only if no one else has reserved it.
Place the materials into the Book Return Box at the library entrance or near the Browsing Corner.
When the box is full or the materials are too large, please hand them over to the library staff. If they are not returned by 17:00 on the due date, you cannot borrow any more materials using the Automatic Lending Machine until we confirm the returning.
- * Please be aware that you may receive an overdue notice if materials are returned to the shelf directly or the Return Rack, without completing the proper return procedures.
- * If you can’t come to the library, you can send the materials by “YU-PACK”. However, please let us know beforehand. (You should pay for the lost or damaged materials during the shipment.)
If you have filled in your e-mail address on the Long-Term Application Form, then we will send you an e-mail notice in the morning of the due date. If you receive it, please either return or renew your materials promptly.
- * We will send you Overdue Notice or contact by phone If you do not return the material within one week after the due date.
You can reserve materials out on loan.
If you want to reserve materials, please either come to the information counter, send us e-mail, or phone us.
|Reserve Up To||2 materials|
|Reserved For||1 week after e-mail notice|
- * Pick up the reserved material at the information counter during the following office hours.
- * If you don’t show up to pick up the reserved materials within one week after the e-mail notice, the materials are to be retuned to the shelf.
By the Copyright Law, no more than single copy of a part of each material per person for research and study purposes should be made with library materials.
Please bring the materials which you want to photocopy to the information counter from 8:30 to 16:30 on weekdays.
|Photocopy charge for external users
(single side/tax included)
|Black & white .......................\35/sheet
* Loan of books and photocopy from outside are not available.
Reference assistance is available at the Library counter.
- We will assist you find books and journals in JAIST.
- If you need to find a particular book or article, we will help you find them.
- We will show you how to use JAIST OPAC.
Please ask the library staff at the information counter or e-mail us at email@example.com.
The Rare Books Room holds some 120 titles that have become recognized classics in their respective fields. There, you can see and “feel” the achievements of the predecessors.
Please ask at the Library information counter when you wish to browse them.
Some of the rare books are saved in electronic data form and available to the public on the Internet.
Terminals for databases, TV, VCR, CD and DVD players are provided in this room. You can watch BBC, CNN, The Open University of Japan programs on TV. Please respect others in the Library and always wear headphones when you watch/listen.
Learning Commons "J-BEANS" is open space for a variety of uses such as reading books or taking a break in a relaxing environment. Please use it for collectiing information, of course, and also connecting with other people.
>> Details of "J-BEANS"
- Air-conditioning operates from 8:30 to 20:00 on weekdays during summertime and wintertime.
- The Reading Rooms on 2nd and 3rd floor and AV Media Room have own manual air-conditionings. They automatically turn off every hour during nighttime, weekends, and holidays. When this happens, please turn it on again by yourself. And if you are the last person to leave the room, please remember to turn off the switch.
- The lighting is controlled by a motion detection system 24 hours a day.
- When the sensor has not detected motion for 30 minutes, the lighting goes out automatically. If you move a little, the lighting blinks on again. When the lighting doesn't work although you move, please turn on the switch manually.
- The lighting goes out automatically. Please do not to turn off the switch manually because the sensors will not work for half an hour.
IF you have questions or suggestions, please contact us at:
Information and Library Service Office
TEL: 0761-51-1191 (8:30-17:15 on weekdays)