【To Students, Faculty and Staff members】Message from the President(Updated of January 14, 2021)
To Students, Faculty and Staff members,
We just announced the message regarding the COVID-19 on January 8, 2021. However on January 13, a state of emergency subject to Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, Fukuoka, and Tochigi was also announced.
Therefore, we will take the following measures at JAIST from January 14 when the state of emergency comes into effect, and kindly request the continued cooperation from students, faculty and staff members.
- Do not make nonessential business trip or trip to Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, Fukuoka, and Tochigi which are subject to the state of emergency. For the student guidance and lecture, use online systems.
- If it cannot avoid business trip or trip to Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, Fukuoka, and Tochigi. For faculty and staff members, inform the Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance. For students, inform supervisor and in case of job hunting including internship also inform the Career Support Office (email@example.com) in advance. And must follow the regulations that apply to the area.
After your return, monitor your health and if you are not well such as have a fever, promptly email Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) and do not come to the campus.
The temporary closure of the Tokyo Satellite is as notified separately on January 5.
- In regard of visitors from Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, Fukuoka, and Tochigi. As promotion of telework is mentioned in the state of emergency, use online systems and do not ask people to visit the campus.
- Avoid the "5 situations" (see attachment) as much as possible that increase the risk of infection presented by the government's Coronavirus Infection Control Subcommittee.
- More gatherings and drinking parties will be held at the beginning of the year. However, carefully consider whether it is necessary or should attend (refrain from attending gatherings as much as possible).
- In particular, strictly refrain from meetings involving eating and drinking while on business trip or trip in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, Fukuoka, and Tochigi, as experts have pointed out that many cause of unknown route infections cases are through eating and drinking.
- In case that a gathering is to be hold, even in areas other than Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, Fukuoka, and Tochigi. Make sure the gathering is only with a small number of people (up to 4 people) for a short time and take prevention measures (e.g. regular ventilation, wear mask, avoid tight spaces etc.) and hold the gathering only at restaurants that comply with the declaration of measures against COVID-19 set by prefectures and have the sticker stating their declaration of the countermeasures.
JAIST does not set rules for travel across prefectural borders except to Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, Fukuoka, and Tochigi. However, check the infection status, COVID-19 cluster status and whether infection routes are clear or not at your destination then consider carefully before you decide to travel (same apply to visitors from outside of prefecture). After your return, monitor your health and if you are not well such as have a fever, promptly email Crisis Management (email@example.com) and do not come to the campus.
・For students, note the following:
〇 Those who are planning extracurricular activities off campus need to inform the Student Affairs Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance.
- In case of departure from Japan, submit a notification to Student Affairs Department in advance. "Notice of Overseas Travel(海外渡航届)" for Japanese students, "Notice of Temporary Leave (coronavirus infection compatible version)" for international students. Faculty and staff members, inform the head of your department or supervisor and Crisis Management (email@example.com) in advance. Travel to countries listed Level 3 on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs'"Travel Advice and Warning on Infectious Diseases" is prohibited, also refrain from nonessential travel to Level 2. There will be a quarantine period for entry into your destination country and Japan, so consider about that period before decide to travel. Faculty and staff members who return to JAIST without quarantine period at an accommodation near the airport because of duty related reasons, will be quarantined at the accommodation designated by JAIST, so follow instructions from Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you are not well such as have a fever, call your primary care doctor or the Ishikawa Prefecture Consulting Center for the Fever Patients (0120-540-004) for consultation. Those who are instructed to visit a doctor, do not use public transportations (including JAIST Shuttle). When you are taking Kanaya Taxi (076-272-0085), call in advance to inform them that you "have a fever and visiting a doctor".
In order to prevent COVID-19 cluster on campus, residents of JAIST student housing and staff housing who are tested for PCR/antigen at their doctor's visit will be placed in designated accommodation without returning to their own rooms, so bring personal belongings such as cash, insurance card, change of clothes/sleeping wear and mobile phone (including charger) etc. Email your doctor's visit result to Crisis Management (email@example.com) and follow their instructions.
If the test result is positive, Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Health Center staff will ask you about your movement history (date, time, location, activities and contacts), please give them your cooperation. If you do not have return transportation from doctors, ask for assistance at the hospital or health center (0761-22-0793).
- In the case of any addition to the state of emergency, request from Ishikawa Prefecture or outbreak of the COVID-19 infection on campus. We will take necessary measure immediately and ask for your kind cooperation.
There are great concerns for rapid spread of infection, as the number of people infected with the COVID-19 per day has reached the highest level in various parts of Japan. Also in Ishikawa Prefecture, cases of COVID-19 infection have been reported in neighboring cities, universities, and Nomi City, under the current circumstances we have to stay alert.
To our students, faculty and staff members, please continue to take prevention measures against infection (wear mask, wash hands, practice the cough etiquette, and avoid the "three Cs") to protect yourself.
During winter time, there are also concern for influenza and norovirus infections. For students, this is also an important time to summarize your research and present your findings. I strongly hope that you will complete your studies without getting infected. Therefore, I would like to ask all of us to work together to prevent infection and keep yourself and others safe from the COVID-19.
January 14, 2021
President of Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology