【To Students, Faculty and Staff members】Message from the President(Updated of February 3, 2021)
To Students, Faculty and Staff members,
I would like to express my gratitude to students, faculty and staff members for working together to prevent the COVID-19 infection, and as a result, no one has been infected with the coronavirus.
As of February 3, the government is going to lift the State of Emergency for Tochigi Prefecture on February 7. However, for 10 prefectures (Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, and Fukuoka) the State of Emergency is extended until March 7.
The response at JAIST from February 3, when the state of emergency is enforced is as follows. I kindly ask for continued cooperation from students, faculty and staff members.
In addition, Ishikawa Prefecture is currently issuing an "Infection Spread Warning" of the COVID-19. Fortunately the rate of infection spread is slowing down, and the warning is expected to be canceled or changed in the future. However, in order to prevent the outbreak of coronavirus infection, please stay alert and follow the measures listed on attached files.
- Do not make nonessential business trip or trip to 10 prefectures (Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, and Fukuoka) subject to the State of Emergency. For the student guidance and lecture, use online systems.
- If business trip or trip to Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, and Fukuoka is unavoidable even after careful consideration. For faculty and staff members, inform the Crisis Management (email@example.com) in advance. For students, inform supervisor and in case of job hunting including internship also inform the Career Support Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance. And must follow the regulations that apply to the area.
After your return, monitor your health and if you are not well such as have a fever, promptly email Crisis Management (email@example.com) and do not come to the campus.
The temporary closure of the Tokyo Satellite Campus is as notified separately on January 5.
- In regard of visitors from Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, and Fukuoka. As promotion of telework is mentioned in the State of Emergency, use online systems and do not request people to visit the campus.
- Avoid the "5 situations" (see attachment) that increase the risk of infection presented by the Subcommittee on Novel Coronavirus Disease Control.
- There might be more occasion for gatherings and drinking parties for end of the Academic year. However, carefully consider whether it is necessary or should attend (refrain from attending gatherings as much as possible).
- In particular, strictly refrain from gathering involving dining out and drinking while on business trip or trip in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, and Fukuoka, as experts have pointed out that dining out and drinking cause many of the cases with unknown routes of transmission.
- In case that a gathering is to be hold, even in areas other than Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, and Fukuoka. Make sure the gathering is only with a small number of people (up to 4 people) for a short time and take prevention measures (e.g. regular ventilation, wear mask, avoid close-contact settings etc.) and hold the gathering only at restaurants that comply with the declaration of measures against COVID-19 set by prefectures and have the sticker stating their declaration of the countermeasures.
- JAIST does not set rules for travel across prefectural borders except to Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama, Chiba, Kyoto, Osaka, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu, and Fukuoka. However, check the infection status, COVID-19 cluster status and whether infection routes are clear or not at your destination then consider carefully before you decide to travel (same apply to visitors from outside of prefecture). After your return, monitor your health and if you are not well such as have a fever, promptly email Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) and do not come to the campus.
・For students, note the following:
〇 Those who are planning extracurricular activities off campus need to inform the Student Affairs Department (email@example.com) in advance.
- In case of departure from Japan, submit a notification to Student Affairs Department in advance. "Notice of Overseas Travel(海外渡航届)" for Japanese students, "Notice of Temporary Leave (coronavirus infection compatible version)" for international students. Faculty and staff members, inform the head of your department or supervisor and Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance. Travel to countries listed Level 3 on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' "Travel Advice and Warning on Infectious Diseases" is prohibited, also refrain from nonessential travel to Level 2. There will be a quarantine period for entry into your destination country and Japan, so consider about that period before decide to travel.
Faculty and staff members who return to JAIST without quarantine period at an accommodation near the airport because of duty related reasons, will be quarantined at the accommodation designated by JAIST, so follow instructions from Crisis Management (email@example.com).
- If you are not well such as have a fever, call your primary care doctor or the Ishikawa Prefecture Consulting Center for the Fever Patients (0120-540-004) for consultation. Those who are instructed to visit a doctor, do not use public transportations (including JAIST Shuttle). When you are taking Kanaya Taxi (076-272-0085), call in advance to inform them that you "have a fever and visiting a doctor".
In order to prevent COVID-19 cluster on campus, residents of JAIST student housing and staff housing who are tested for PCR/antigen at their doctor's visit will be placed in designated accommodation without returning to their own rooms, so bring personal belongings such as cash, insurance card, change of clothes/sleeping wear and mobile phone (including charger) etc. Email your doctor's visit result to Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) and follow their instructions.
If the test result is positive, Crisis Management (email@example.com) and Health Center staff will ask you about your movement history (date, time, location, activities and contacts), please give them your cooperation. If you do not have return transportation from doctors, ask for assistance at the hospital or health center (0761-22-0793).
- In the case of any addition to the state of emergency, request from Ishikawa Prefecture or outbreak of the COVID-19 infection on campus. We will take necessary measure immediately and ask for your kind cooperation.
The number of coronavirus cases per day is no longer exceeding the highest number in various parts of Japan. However, we are still in serious situation and there are concern for collapse of the health system, it is undeniable that it will take more time for the coronavirus situation to resolve.
Also in Ishikawa Prefecture, cases of COVID-19 infection have been reported in neighboring cities, universities, and Nomi City, under the current circumstances we have to stay alert.
To our Students, faculty and staff members, please continue to take prevention measures against infection (wear mask, wash hands, practice the cough etiquette, and avoid the "three Cs") to protect yourself.
During winter time, there are also concern for influenza and norovirus infections. For students, this is an important time to summarize research, present findings and complete course. I strongly hope that you will complete your studies without getting infected. Therefore, I would like to ask all of us to work together to prevent infection and keep yourself and others safe from the COVID-19.
February 3, 2021
President of Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology