【To Students, Faculty and Staff members】Message from the President(Updated of May 31, 2021)
To Students, Faculty and Staff members,
I would like to thank you for your understanding and cooperation in our infection prevention measures against the COVID-19.
COVID-19 infection, which are considered to be the fourth wave, are re-spreading across the country, and the "State of Emergency" subject to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo, Aichi, Fukuoka, Hokkaido, Hiroshima, Okayama and Okinawa prefectures has been extended until June 20.
In addition, "Priority measures to prevent the spread of disease" have been applied to Ishikawa prefecture, where JAIST is located as well as Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, Gifu, Mie, Gunma and Kumamoto prefectures.
The number of confirmed cases in Ishikawa prefecture is still increasing, and the prefectural government has issued its own State of Emergency until June 13, indicating that we are in a critical situation with a high risk of infection.
Currently, new coronavirus variants which are more infectious and are said to cause severe illness even in young people are raging. In Ishikawa prefecture, a cluster occurred at a high school in Noto on May 25. Under these situations, we have to stay alert and cautious until the COVID-19 situation subsides.
In response to the cluster, Ishikawa Prefecture has requested that PCR tests be conducted on residents of student housings for early detection and prevention of the spread of infection. For those who wish to take the test (consent required), JAIST will conduct the test at the health checkup starting June 14, please take the test if you are living in a student housing. Detailed information will be sent to you later.
Therefore, JAIST will take the following measures starting today, and we would like to ask everyone to stay alert and take all possible measures against the COVID-19.
- Coronavirus can be transmitted through droplet and contact, and it is important for each person to thoroughly take infection control measures such as "avoid the three Cs", "keep a safe distance from others", "wear a mask" and "wash hands and use hand sanitizer". In order to ensure the health and safety of all students, faculty and staff members, wear a mask as a general rule on campus (including the student housings) especially when coming into contact with or talking to others.
- Avoid the "5 situations that increase the risk of infection" (see attachment) issued by the Subcommittee on Novel Coronavirus Disease Control.
- Continue to consider the use of online services in place of business trips and operations that involve travel across prefectural borders, and do not take nonessential business trip or travel if the national or local government issued a "State of emergency" or "Priority measures to prevent the spread of disease" for the destination. As for student guidance, use the online system as much as possible.
- If it is necessary to make a business trip or travel to the area subject to a "State of Emergency", be sure to inform the Crisis Management (email@example.com).
※There have been cases where the Crisis Management has not been notified, so please be sure to contact them.
- For the other areas, the decision on whether or not to travel should be made after careful consideration of the infection status, COVID-19 cluster status, and whether or not infection routes are clear at the destination.
- The same apply to visitors from outside of prefecture.
After you travel, monitor your health and if you are unwell such as have a fever, email the Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately and do not come to the campus.
For students, note the following○ Business trip (research activities, conferences etc.)
must inform your supervisor in advance.○ Job-hunting (including internship)
must inform the Career Support Office (email@example.com) in advance.
- COVID-19 clusters have been reported all over the country among young people due to eating out and drinking. To prevent getting infected with COVID-19, please be cautious even when dining with your family and relatives etc.
- Departure from Japan (except for return to home country after completion)
○ As for the student's overseas travel during COVID-19 pandemic, refer to the separate notice.○ As for the faculty and staff member's overseas travel during COVID-19 pandemic, refer to the separate notice.*If it is necessary to travel out of Japan, check Border enforcement measures for the latest information on entry to Japan, and follow their instructions (submit a certificate of negative test result conducted within 72 hours prior to departing from the country/region where travelers stay, non-use of public transportation for 14 days after entering Japan, etc.).
Reference: Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare
- Regarding the opening etc. of the Tokyo Satellite, refer to the separate notice.
- If you are unwell such as have a fever, call your primary care doctor or the Ishikawa Consulting Center for the Patients with Fever (0120-540-004) for consultation. Those who are instructed to see a doctor, do not use public transportations (including JAIST Shuttle). If you are taking Kanaya Taxi (076-272-0085), call in advance and inform them that you "have a fever and visiting a doctor".
In order to prevent COVID-19 cluster on campus, residents of JAIST student housing and staff housing who are tested for PCR/antigen at their doctorʼs visit will be placed in designated accommodation without returning to their own rooms, so bring personal belongings such as cash, health insurance card, change of clothes/sleeping wear and mobile phone (including charger) etc.
Email your doctorʼs visit result to the Crisis Management (firstname.lastname@example.org) and follow their instructions. If the test result is positive, the Crisis Management and Health Center staff will ask you about your movement (date, time, location, activities and contacts), please give them your cooperation. If you do not have return transportation from doctors, ask for assistance at the hospital or health center (0761-22-0793).
- COVID-19 vaccination will be conducted in the municipality where your current address is registered, so please confirm your registration.
（COVID-19 vaccine（Ishikawa prefecture））
- If there is a change in the area or period for the State of emergency declared by the national government, a new order from Ishikawa prefectural government, or COVID-19 patients are reported on campus, we will immediately take necessary measures and ask for your kind cooperation.
Since there are confirmed COVID-19 cases and clusters reported in Nomi city, neighboring cities and universities, we cannot let our guard down against the COVID-19.
In addition to the COVID-19, seasonal infectious diseases (such as measles, rubella, streptococcal infection, etc.) may also be spread.
For students, this is an important time to start preparing for internship and job-hunting, and for new students to star preparing for their studies, research and job-hunting at JAIST. I strongly hope that you will stay free from various infectious diseases during this important period. Therefore, I would like to ask for your continued cooperation in working together to prevent the spread of infection.
May 31, 2021
President of Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology