The Division of Advanced Science and Technology in the Graduate School of Advanced Science and Technology at JAIST carries out lectures and laboratory education corresponding to main academic fields for each degree as shown below, in order to acquire the abilities that are specified in the Diploma Policy.
- Offered hierarchically and systematically groups of lectures consisting of courses for students from a different major and beginner students (Introductory Courses), basic courses of graduate school (Basic Courses), high-level specialized courses (Technical Courses) and developmental and advanced specialized courses (Intermediate and Advanced Courses). Conducted in either English or Japanese language.
- Set the target of each lecture at acquiring abilities to understand and utilize serialized knowledge.
- Introduce active learning methods positively.
- Carry out strict grading based mainly on examinations.
- Educate students to obtain an ability to conduct group research by utilizing methodologies of knowledge science and an ability to aim at improving themselves based on rubrics.
- Recommend that student take languages courses, liberal arts courses and courses of the other fields actively.
- Makes students deepen their understanding of basic concepts in their major field through laboratory education.
- Carries out high-quality laboratory education by taking account of each student’s talent and study targets and supervising the level of their goal attainment.
- Makes students obtain abilities of problem identification and problem solving with application of their specialized knowledge through methods including individual guidance, small-class education, and collaborative learning.
- Makes students acquire necessary abilities for a series of research process from making a research plan based on review of relevant researches, executing the research by using acquired knowledge and skills, examining research outcomes, to presenting the outcomes.
- Provides research guidance and evaluation from different viewpoints by assigning supervisors from different fields.
- By assigning a research topic of the adjacent or relevant field related to the specialized field or an internship, makes students acquire abilities to carry out research in different field and environment. In addition, provides opportunities to receive guidance from the viewpoints of different filed or industry.
- In the laboratory environment abound with diversity in goals, backgrounds, nationalities and the like, aims at improving understanding of diverse cultures and communication ability.
- Through research activities, makes students comprehend their social responsibility and nurture high sense of ethics as a researcher or an engineer.
- In the doctoral program, aims at enhancing abilities of leadership through the opportunities to work as a teaching assistant or a research assistant.
- Conducts evaluation of the level of achievements based on the laboratory education stated above.
Main Academic Fields
Knowledge Science: An academic field that integrates knowledge of design methodology, business management, system science and others related to issues of human, organizations or society, proposes attractive solutions to the issues, and contemplate how to materialize the solutions
Information Science: An academic field that aims to solve problems for humanity and society, pioneer unexplored fields, and produce new innovative basic theories, basic technologies and applications with regard to information processing and communication that supports the information society
Materials Science: An academic field that produce new and innovative materials by aiming at solving problem for humanity and society and pioneering unexplored fields on the basis of physics, chemistry, biology and their relevant science and technology