The Division of Advanced Science and Technology in the Graduate School of Advanced Science and Technology at JAIST sets its educational goal in cultivating innovative talents in advanced science and technology who can take active roles as leaders in society or industrial world with broad vision required in a sustainable society and communication ability in addition to specialization in advanced science and technology.
In the master’s program, a master’s degree in Knowledge Science, Information Science or Materials Science based on student’s main academic fields will be conferred to those who have acquired the abilities listed below and have passed either the Master Thesis Examination and the Final Examination, or the Ph.D. Qualifying Examination after having obtained all the required credits.
Abilities to be acquired during the Master’s Program
- Ability to understand fundamental concepts of advanced science and technology in the major field
- Ability to identify and solve problems by the application of specialized knowledge
- Ability to carry out academically and socially valuable research on their own initiative
- Ability to challenge a different field from the major or an unexplored field
- Ability to comprehend diverse cultures and ability to communicate
- High ethical perspectives as a researcher or an engineer
- In the doctoral program, a doctoral degree in Knowledge Science, Information Science or Materials Science based on student’s main academic fields will be conferred to those who have acquired the abilities listed below in addition to the abilities listed above, produced excellent research achievements in the major field and have passed the Doctoral Dissertation Examination and the Final Examination after having obtained all the required credits.
Abilities to be acquired during the Doctoral Program
- Ability to extensively understand theories and systems of advanced science and technology in the major field
- Ability to design a new and original research and produce world-class research achievements
- Ability to hold a comprehensive view and take leadership in the field of advanced science and technology
Main Academic Fields
Knowledge Science: An academic field that integrates knowledge of design methodology, business management, system science and others related to issues of human, organizations or society, proposes attractive solutions to the issues, and contemplate how to materialize the solutions
Information Science: An academic field that aims to solve problems for humanity and society, pioneer unexplored fields, and produce new innovative basic theories, basic technologies and applications with regard to information processing and communication that supports the information society
Materials Science: An academic field that produce new and innovative materials by aiming at solving problem for humanity and society and pioneering unexplored fields on the basis of physics, chemistry, biology and their relevant science and technology