Student Life

Residence Registration

Residence Registration (Japanese Students)

Complete necessary procedures at the local city hall within 14 days of moving in. You will need a Certificate of Transfer (転出証明書)from the local city hall where you were previously living, your seal (hanko),etc.

Notification of place of residence (International Students)

All foreign nationals residing in Japan for mid- to long-term (excluding persons granted permission to stay for 3 months or less) must take the required procedures at a local city hall in the following cases.You need to bring your residence card and passport.

(1) When coming to Japan for the first time
(2) When moving to a new residence
(3) When getting a Certificate of Residence (Paper-based Certificate)
(4) When Leaving Japan

Please submit the “Change-of-address Form” ()to Student Welfare Section within a week of your change of residence.

For necessary procedures when leaving JAIST after completing programs or for off-campus research, please refer to this page

For Nomi-city website and websites of the cities near JAIST, please refer to this page.