The version of J-Storage was upgraded during the maintenance on 2022/1/20.
- Not available in Internet Explorer (IE)
- The minimum length of the password set when sharing the URL has been changed.
Before version upgrade：8 characters or more
After version update ：10 characters or more
You can upload large files to the server and securely exchange files with other parties inside and outside the university.
This system is built in our private cloud.
All the data is stored on the secured cloud, so you can use the service more securely with maintaining usability similar to "DropBox" and "GoogleDrive" services.
- For securely transferring files over the Internet. (1._Jstorage-2018_Web-Browser_operation-EN.pdf - file URL sharing)
- Transfer (deliver) large file size that can not be attached in e-mails. (1._Jstorage-2018_Web-Browser_operation-EN.pdf - file URL sharing)
- For files of 2~3 MB or larger, please use this service instead of mail attachments. (1._Jstorage-2018_Web-Browser_operation-EN.pdf - file URL sharing)
- To exchange (deliver) files with someone who is not a JAIST member. (1._Jstorage-2018_Web-Browser_operation-EN.pdf - file URL sharing)
- To share data with other campus users. (1._Jstorage-2018_Web-Browser_operation-EN.pdf - file sharing with other "OwnCloud" accounts)
- For File version management. (1._Jstorage-2018_Web-Browser_operation-EN.pdf - version management)
- To synchronize folders between local storage and folders in "OwnCloud" using auxiliary applications installed on PC or smartphone. (2._Jstorage-2018_Client-tool_setting_and_operation-EN.pdf)
User Manual is here.
- If you are sharing files with other users, do not use J-Storage as a permanent storage for the original files, and ask them to copy the necessary files to another storage location (which may cause confusion if the sharing settings are removed).
- There is no data retention period, but please delete or unshare unnecessary data as soon as possible.
- The file size that can be uploaded or downloaded at one time is up to 30 GB (operationally confirmed).
- Please be careful when sharing the file name to other users, as some devices do not distinguish between upper- and lower-case characters (synchronization error occurs).
By installing a dedicated application on a PC or smartphone, in addition to the functions available on the Web browser, synchronization between folders in the local storage and folders in the Jstorage-2018 server becomes possible. You can download it from the dedicated application Nextcloud website or Jstorage-2018 settings.
For details, please refer to 2._Jstorage-2018_Client-tool_setting_and_operation-EN.pdf of User Manual.
When set to 2020-12-28, it will be unshared at 00:00 on December 28, 2020.
If the following cases, plese change the file name.
- The file name contains prohibited characters
On Windows, you cannot use characters such as \ /: *? "<> | in the file name. Files named with these characters will not be synchronized.
- File names are different only in letter case (e.g. test.txt and TEST.txt)
File names are not case sensitive on Windows. Files with the same string are considered to be the same file and synchronization will fail.
The file "Readme.md" is generated when you click "Add notes, lists, links ..." above the file list.
After creating Readme.md, the upper part of the file list will become an editing area, and the contents of Readme.md will be displayed. You can use it to write folder descriptions, shortcut links, etc.
You can disable this feature by unchecking "Show Readme.md" in the settings (gear icon) at the bottom left of the screen.
[Transfer side (original owner)]
① Click your profile image (initial setting is initial) at the top right of the screen.
② Click "Settings".
③ Click "Sharing" in the list on the left.
④ Click "Choose file or folder to transfer" and select the file or folder to transfer.
⑤ Enter the user name of the transferee.
⑥ Click the "Transfer 'file name' to 'user name'" button.
If the message "Ownership transfer request sent" is displayed, it is successful.
[transferee side (new owner)]
① After the transferor has completed the settings, click the notification icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
② Confirm the notification regarding the transfer of ownership, and click "Accept".
③ After waiting for a while, a folder named "transferred from 'user name of the transferor' on 'date'" will be created. The transferred folder will be stored in this folder.
The owner of the folder can be restored by following the steps below.
1. Click "Deleted files" in the lower left corner of the screen.
2. Click "Restore" on the right side of the file you want to restore.
The restored files will be restored to the first screen you see after logging in. (It will not be restored in the folder.)
The restored folders will be restored to the location where the folder was originally located.
After the version upgrade implemented on 2022/1/20, J-Storage can no longer be used from Internet Explorer. When you access J-Storage from Internet Explorer, the menus at the top and left of the screen are displayed, but the files / folders are not displayed.
Please use it from other browsers such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Firefox.
J-Storage has a function to share a folder by URL, and other users can access the URL to exchange files. We have confirmed a bug that files cannot be uploaded even if they are dragged and dropped into the light blue area of the URL-shared folder.
If you are unable to upload a file using URL sharing, please try the following:
- Drag and drop files to the top of the screen
* Please drop the folder above the "You can upload into this folder" text if the folder is empty, or slightly below the "X folders and X files" text if there are files.
- Upload from the "+" icon → "Upload Files"